My real food challenge is still… going, I guess. What I’ve been trying to do is eat 80% real, because feeling restricted only leads to huge binges, and I need to keep in mind the actual goal, which is to FEEL BETTER.
This real food challenge has inspired me to really get creative with some dishes though! Last week I tried this breakfast a couple times (had to experiment with the recipe), and let me say, I LOVE it. Literally, I’m obsessed. It’s so filling and delicious, it really doesn’t get better than this (except the breakfast I’m trying this morning might be even better, so stay tuned for that).
The only thing I hate about this recipe is the name. Seriously, there is no short way to say “Baked Egg in a Turkey Cup”. So instead, I’m just calling it like it is, which is an egg in a cup. A little lengthy but what can you do.
- Preservative-free sliced turkey (I have the best luck when getting turkey sliced fresh from the deli because it’s actual turkey being sliced, not a bunch of chemicals in a resealable bag)
- 1 Egg
- 1/2 of a Shallot
1. Preheat the oven to 400°. Spray one cup of a muffin tin completely and line the cup with turkey
2. I like to put a slice of tomato at the bottom because the tomato cooks really nicely and really breaks up the flavor between the cooked egg and the turkey
3. I put diced shallots on top of the tomato with a little salt and pepper before cracking the egg. You can do this in whatever order you want though! The great part about this breakfast is that you can really get creative what you add in. I simply put the shallots in, cracked the egg, topped with scallions and feta and put it in the oven!
4. Place in the oven for 15 minutes and just keep an eye on the egg until it gets to the level of cooked that you want it!
The first time I tried this, I put a couple leaves of spinach on top in the last 5 minutes of baking:
Basically, get as creative as you want with this recipe! It’s SO good and actually really filling.
If you guys make it, take a picture and share it on my Facebook page!!